Monday, March 23, 2009

How not to spend the weekend!

Well, as some of you know, I spent last weekend in the hospital with diverticulitis. For those soooo inclined to know, it's a severe intestinal infection that comes with lots of pain and can possibly lead to colon perforation, etc.. etc...

I hadn't felt well all week, but just passed it off as a stomach bug. On Friday, I went with some friends to the Hearts at Home Conference. This was the first year I actually got signed up and (almost) attended. After dinner, I felt really, really bad and as we were shopping around the vendor area, quickly realized I needed to head home. I called my sister, Pam, and she came to Bloomington to pick me up. My sweet friend, Amy, sat with me in the lobby until she got there. You know how when you really don't feel well everything is very annoying? - that was me! I hope I wasn't too snippy with Amy (she wasn't annoying me, but it seemed every other person was).

Anyway, Pam took one look at me and said "you need to go the hospital". So we headed to Peoria to OSF ER where I spent several hours in pain, going through tests, shaking from the chills, etc... Finally, at 2:00 am, they concluded that it was diverticulitis. About 4 am they decided to admit me to a room. I was thinking I'd be out the next morning after some heavy drugs, but no, my dr. came in and said, "I think we will keep you until Monday or Tuesday"?!?! And he was hoping they wouldn't have to operate!! YIKES!!

I was just slightly perturbed - at this point the morphine pump was working good and I was feeling no pain. Thankfully the antibiotics worked and surgery wasn't necessary and I came home on Tuesday. I just need to take it easy for awhile and watch my diet - FIBER, FIBER, FIBER!

It's been an eventful week, but it was such a blessing to have tons of calls, visitors, meals, cards, flowers, etc. from family and friends. Not to mention the help with the boys and the work my wonderful husband did around the house. Thanks to everyone!

I actually felt better yesterday than I think I've felt in months. So maybe this has been part of my ill feelings lately. Unfortunately, this afternoon I starting breaking out in hives. Probably a reaction to meds - so I will call the dr tomorrow to see what I should do?!? I continue to be a medical mystery - but all in all I am so very BLESSED!!

Have a great week!

2 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

So...how does the morphine compare to the red wine?? :O)

I'm so happy you are better!!

March 25, 2009 at 11:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The morphine made me sleepy and gave me a horrible headache...not unlike too much red wine!!

March 29, 2009 at 9:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home